Tuesday, 7 October 2008

Durga Pooja Celebration Continues..





Now, these videos go especially for my dear Stoneweaver who really wanted to experience all the gaiety. I have posted 2 of them to be able to have a general idea of all the celebration that went on.

Do notice a kind of dance that is performed only during Durga puja and this is known as the Dhunuchi. A Dhunuchi is an earthen pot with a funnel base and an open top. Burning coal /charcoal/fibrous coconut husk is put inside and then powdered incense, known as dhuno, is poured over it. A sweet smelling thick white smoke spreads and engulfs your senses. Then with the Dhakis (the ones playing a special type of drum) going on a frenzy with their drum beats, the Dhunuchi dancers balance the earthen pots, sometimes with the base delicately placed on their foreheads and then they gyrate their bodies to the drum beats. This is certainly a unique way of offering prayer to Ma Durga.

And the catch is that you won't be able to see me while I was dancing with a Dhanuchi as my camera was in my bag while I was busy dancing :)

Hope you guys like it, I surely had a wonderfully divine experience today. I danced like no one was watching, was actually so engrossed in offering myself to the Goddess that my feet just did not stop. I wish Durga Pooja goes on all year long as it helps one forget whatever trouble he/she has in their life for that time & be with the Divine Mother herself. Or may be not. May be it is this special because it comes after a long wait of an year. Anyway, let us soak our souls in the bliss while it lasts.

Jai Ma Durga,

Meow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. If I were there I would be dancing too! I love the drumming - I'm sure my soul has been to India even though my body has not (yet).

Caroline said...

That is so cool! There is a chant I listen to called Ma Durga...and I always wanted more insight about what I was singing along with! I sure know why I love this! Thank you for sharing. Although, I would have loved to see you dance...next time pass the video recorder to a friend and get yourself on film!!